About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
We are Nate Cross and Carrie Cunningham. Unapologetic foodies, we thought about the amount of time and money we spend on eating and cooking, and figured maybe we have something to say about it.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Eating on Tour: An Introduction

This is my first in a series of posts that will involve a meditation and description of eating on tour. As well as being a cook at Foodheads in Austin, TX I also spend time playing music in various bands (When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth, Awesome Cool Dudes) which affords me the luxury to occasionally tour the US (and hopefully other countries soon!). I recently returned from a short week-long tour up into the midwest and back to Texas. Thie following post will be about this trip. In November I will be going on a more involved 2 1/2 week tour that will include more details and pictures as well as a (hopefully) larger picture of what it is I eat while on tour and the various specialties in different locales that I get to indulge in.

Eating on tour can occasionally be a logistical challenge. Sometimes you venture to cities where you don't know anyone and therefore don't know where to go to eat, or what to do, or where to stay, etc. You end up feeling almost stranded and basically just look for the nearest and easiest options. However, this isn't always a bad thing. By just walking into a random local business sometimes you come across wonderful people and wonderful food.

Sometimes however you have friends or family that not only will give you a place to stay but also cook for you, or at the very least be willing to show you around town and tell you where to go and what to do. It is a very comforting feeling and helps you feel more at ease in your new unfamiliar surroundings.

So, here it is. My food diary from our September tour. Enjoy! And please, if you see cities and you say, "I could have recommended some places!" PLEASE, let me know. I'd love to have some better ideas for the next time I visit! Thanks...

No comments: